Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Memories

   Home-baked cookies, a picture, a particular ring tone... there are so many little things that can trigger so many memories. Maybe some of those things bring back memories for you of being home as a child or hanging out with friends, or maybe a particular point in your life.
   Lately I've been having tons of those flashbacks! Thinking of people I haven't seen since I was in elementary school, and stories from my childhood. Some of those memories are very vivid! I remember a scout camp out when I used a plastic spatula to make breakfast and it melted onto the pancakes (we didn't eat them). Jumping on my neighbor's trampoline... I'm sure Elder Waltman's ears have just about fallen off from me sharing so many stories that have come to mind. But those memories can bring us so much happiness. Who doesn't want to remember the best times of their lives? I believe that our memories are a gift from God. J M Barrie once wrote, "God gave us memories that we might have roses in December." We can enjoy them, learn from them, and share them. Think back to the happiest times in your life. I would say mine are when I have been truly selfless and given my all in service for someone else because I care more about them than myself, expecting nothing in return. Especially when I can tell it meant a great deal to them. That's satisfaction. That's something worth remembering.
   What do you remember? When in your life were you happiest? Why do you think that is? Feel free to leave a comment and tell us all about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment