Saturday, April 9, 2011

Feed My Sheep

   Christ taught, "Feed my sheep." (John 21:17) As a missionary for the Church of Jesus-Christ of Latter-Day Saints, I was "called to serve" not "called to preach." Although preaching and proclaiming the Gospel is the main part of how we perform this service, we also try to serve people in other ways too.
   Just a few days ago, Elder Waltman and I were driving down the road when we saw a group of men with a big moving trailer outside of their house, hauling large and small items, little by little into the house. I looked to Elder Waltman and said, "do you think we should go help them?"
   Elder Waltman replied, "sure."
   So we did. There were probably seven men there already helping out, but we offered our help and they accepted. We helped unload the trailer they already had there, and a truck or two and another trailer. We got to help them lift furniture in their house, and random trinkets and bags. As we helped out we got to know the couple moving in a little bit. They had a young child, and were moving in from across town. They were the nicest people and we had a lot of fun helping them out.
   When all the moving was done, we talked to the man moving in for a brief moment and he told us of the church he goes to, and how they are reaching out to people who may not feel comfortable in regular church buildings. What a wonderful idea. He and his family were such caring, Christ-like people and we enjoyed being around them.
   We then said our goodbyes and began walking back to the car, when this man graciously called out to us and invited us in for some pizza. I wasn't expecting that, but we readily accepted the invitation and enjoyed some pizza and their company for a little while longer. They were so appreciative and thankful- and honestly we hadn't done much in a group of so many people. I felt so honored that they would be so kind to us for such a little thing. Some would call it Southern Hospitality, but I would call it an exalting and Godly attitude.
   From King Benjamin in the Book of Mormon we learn, "...when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God." (Mosiah 2:17)
   I would invite you to look for ways to serve others, and do a good deed here and there. When you do, you are serving God, and you can be at peace. I know in my life I have always been happiest when I have been more concerned with the well being of others before thinking of my own. When you put your all into selfless service you are doing exactly what Christ talked about when He said, "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

No comments:

Post a Comment