Wednesday, April 13, 2011

"..I do not boast in my own strength.."

   Once a week, Elder Waltman and I get together with some other missionaries and we teach and learn from each other. Today was my turn to teach. I had been asked a couple days ago to prepare a talk on a Christ-like attribute of my choice. I prayed about it and came to the conclusion I should talk about humility.
   "Humility is willingness to submit to the will of the Lord and to give the Lord the honor for what is accomplished. It includes gratitude for His blessings and acknowledgment of your constant need for His
divine help." -Preach My Gospel pg 120.
   I really like how Ammon showed humility after serving the Lord and helping thousands of people come to a true knowledge of their savior Jesus Christ. Ammon began to talk about the success they had and one of his brethren cautioned him, "...I fear thy joy doth carry thee away unto boasting." (Alma 26:11)
   "But Ammon said unto him: I do not boast in my own strength, nor in my own wisdom; but behold, my joy is full, yea, my heart is brim with joy, and I will rejoice in my God." (Alma 26:12)
   "Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things..." (Alma 26:13)
   Ammon kept no honor for himself, but gave all the honor and glory to God- where it rightly belonged.
   Each of us has been given talents, ability, senses, knowledge or other gifts from God. Sometimes it is hard to see that everything we have and are, are gifts from God. And any good thing comes from Him. Anytime we have happiness or success, it is because He had His hand in it.
   I for one am grateful for the blessings He has given me. He gave me the ability to see the beauty of nature. He gave me a loving family. He gave me the opportunity to be here in Nashville and meet so many wonderful children of His. This list goes on and on!
   In our church we have a hymn called, "Count Your Many Blessings." I would invite each of you to take a moment to count your many blessings from God and see how He has touched YOUR life! Feel free to comment on my blog and share what you're grateful for!

No comments:

Post a Comment