Thursday, May 12, 2011

Knocking Doors

   KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK.
   (Man opens door): "Don't EVER knock on this door again- THAT'S what you can do for the Lord!"
   SLAM!!!

   That was our experience about a week ago. Sad, but true. Funny enough, we meant to knock on his neighbor's door (someone we knew), but accidentally knocked on the wrong one.
   Now, that doesn't happen to us all that often, but it does happen once in a while. I just wanted to share the story to give you a taste of what we go through and to pose a question.
   I wonder: what could have upset the man so much that he would open the door just to yell at us and slam it back in our faces?
   It seems almost silly, doesn't it? We meant no harm, nor offense. We are just the messengers, here to tell the world about the story of what happened between God and a boy named Joseph Smith, and the significance for everyone of that event, and then invite them to ask God about it- to see what the Almighty and All-knowing says about it. If they've heard it before, yes, I'd like to hear what happened, yes, I'd like to talk more, but that doesn't change my objective to share the message and invite people to find out for themselves, in order to build their faith in Jesus Christ. It doesn't change the fact I'm simply there to share what I know and do it in a Christ-like way.
   Honestly, I don't really like knocking doors- I try to avoid it. I don't want to come off as a salesman, or have anyone feel as though we're invading their privacy. That's not Christ-like. But to keep to myself what I know is true, and what I know can bless every human soul's life, would not be very Christ-like. So we go out and try to share it with people. I hope for the day, when all people can talk openly and respectfully about what matters most to any of us, and not have doors slammed in our faces, or obcenities shouted from car doors. I hope for the day when we all come in the unity of faith and can deal kindly with one another even when our views differ. I hope for the day there is absolute peace on Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment